why SOP trails ASAP in the ratings game - the thoughts of a supposed former fan

I used to enjoy SOP. And apparently so did many people, that is if you believed what the ratings had been saying for the longest time before the last decade drew to a close. But with the coming of 2010, the bright people behind the show decided, well, it's time for a change. And truly, it would have been a welcome move had they, the bright people, decided to change for the better. To cut to the chase, the Fully Charged concept was more like fullash*t.

Now, the trend shows a reversal of fortunes. SOP is now the underdog. I would normally go for the underdog any day of the week. But if the underdog looks and sounds like 'that' - pass me the remote or give me some drugs puleez!

But instead of abandoning the show in a huff with nary a word, I've spent some time meditating on what ails SOP and why they suck big time - for the most part anyway. And who knows, maybe the people behind  the show might stray here and find a light that could guide them out of the hellhole they are enmeshed in. Oh I'm sure they know they're in a quandary. Otherwise, La Primera Reina Regine wouldn't be rumored to be throwing tantrums here and there. And she has every right mind you. So here goes...
  • Enough with the gaudy stage design. It is painful enought to see subpar rip offs of Madonna concert prods but to actually be blinded with fiesta-inspired lighting (read: busy) and gina-silk- looking costumes is death by That's Entertainment Saturday Edition all over again.
  • It is obvious that rehearsals are not mandatory for the performers. If I am wrong, then there's no way I can explain the weekly assaults at my sensibilities. And unfortunately for SOP, ASAP's operative word seems to be either "tight" or "clean". Specially in the dance department.
  • The cameramen should not be allowed to run amuck with their weapons. The tracking shots, the crane shots and all those nifty camera tricks that should wow the viewers end up as stimuli for eye sore if done nonstop. I know perfectly well that the aim is to make the energy on stage palpable, but most of the time it's feels like a roller coaster ride. And to make things worse, it's either I miss a highlight of a dance routine or I'm looking at a face that does not belong to the  voice singing in the background (hello? never in a million years will Janno Gibbs sound like Kyla). By the way, what's eating Janno's voice?
  • Less and more. Less of actors who definitely should not host and less of performers whose star quality is equal to my own (and that's tragic). Cases in point. Dennis Trillo is better seen brandishing his acting chops and not reading spiels specially since he reads everything - grammatical errors and all. Oh right he can sing...make him stick to it then. And then there's Gian Magdangal whose all over the place. Yes he has talent but talent doesn't always cut it. The staff should know that by now, I mean how long has he been on the show? And? My point exactly. More of Frencheska Farr, Geoff Taylor, Chris Cayzer, Miguel Escueta and the other performers who should only benefit from more exposure. Like how can you build up the "next big stars" if these stars are not even allowed to shine? The smorgasbord prods only relegate them to a notch higher than the backup singers. And that's not a good thing.
  • I've had it with the balloons. I know they're a peso aplenty and are oh so cute but they are blocking my view dammit!
  • Edit edit edit. The spiels and the lyrics need double checking for they can make the hosts and the singers look, uh, bad.
As I'm writing this I heard that some major revamps are being planned for the show. If I may put my two cents in, start with whoever is calling the shots. It seems her/his creative tank has run dry and  her/his imagination is on a standstill.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP