starstruck v: my take and why it might be just another fluke waiting to happen

 
Before the rant, er, my assessment of the reality artista-search show's present and future, I want to make a confession - that I, the ever honest and fantabulous Menggay V has not been able to follow Starstruck V religiously and is highly influenced, in my views and opinions, by my yaya. That said, let's proceed.

From what I've seen and heard thus far. This had to be said. If Enzo Pineda wins the whole shebang, a fluke has happened - ala-Pinoy Idol. Now, I'm even kinder than my yaya who tongue-in-cheekly calls such an eventuality, ahem, a scam.

But let me explain. First, I agree with most people, specially the directors who have worked with him, that Enzo (left) is too to soft to fill in a virile, leading-man sort of mould. Second, while his dancing is passable, but never to be put side by side with the terpsichorean skills of either Mark Herras or the late Marky Cielo, his singing is...wait a minute, what singing?

So, if he wins, he wins because of the text votes. And paradoxically, there lies the fluke. I have yet to meet anyone in the showbiz-crazy place where I work who promises a peso for his win. So where do all those text votes come from? Your guess is as good as Rocco Nacino's. And yaya's of course. 

Now that I mentioned Rocco (right), let us talk about him. The boy's got talent, and if he was my yaya, he'd be an all-arounder (yes, I would surely include that in his job description!). He can slightly sing, he can definitely dance, and boy can he act! Now I don't have a problem with the first two but it's with the last one I'm a trifle bothered. with, ironically  In my opinion, his acting chops border on being predictably good. "Predictably good" is okay but I want raw, I want surprises, I want different. So much of "predictably good" is boring.

And so now we come to Steven Silva (left). Ah bless him for his good looks and irresistable charm that have made this author, time and again, forget about her resolve to despise men for all the heartaches they have caused her. But that's another story. Going back, Steven reached this late stage of the competition solely on the strength of his appeal. But how  long can an attraction based on tangible magic last? That's a question I hate to dwell on and will probably answer once I finally realized I have taken this off my bookmarks.

I like Sarah Lahbati (right). And if ever she gets crowned Ms Dream Believe Survive Season V, you'll hear no complaints coming from me. She's soshal looking but without that you-can't-touch-me aura. I also kind of fancy the timbre of her voice. She's not a good dancer but with that kind of personality and beauty, she needn't produce a dance album. And her acting is instinctual, the opposite of what Rocco does. I would just as well describe it as natural acting but that sounds like an oxymoron. Don't you think?

Diva Montelaba (left) is no doubt a star-material But unfortunately, not the sweetheart-type star like Sarah would probably become. She's a hardworker but hardwork does not change one's aura, it's inborn. And it doesn't help her case that her morena beauty is not of the Nora Aunor variety but of the Cherie Gil kind. But who knows what a win can do, right?
Among the three girls left, I find Nina Kodaka (right) the most endearing. Her honesty and candor, that still come across despite that oftenly pointed out state of lethargy, are her best qualities. And people like that in a celebrity. Although Sarah is the better singer and Diva is the better dancer, in the acting department, this Jappinay beauty is not to be considered second runner-up. The last acting challenge that I saw (the one with Soxy Topacio at the helm), I found an intense Nina who supringsingly has a depth afterall.


So what does my heart say now? I would be satisfied with any of the three girls winning. As for the boys, things could be easier if Piero Vergara (left) is around but since he's been given the boot, I'd go for anybody but Enzo.

What? A fearless forecast you say? Probably later - after doing the rounds, along with the pink mafia, in the salt mine I call my workplace. Or after hearing from you. And why not?

.

2 comments:

オテモヤン 2/10/10, 6:24 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Domeng Zu 2/14/10, 2:53 PM  

Can you introduce me to your yaya? Feeling ko magkaka-konek kami M. And....member ba si Enzo ng Pink Mafia? Maybe not your Pink Mafia but sa iba? Weird ang nararamdaman ko sa kanya.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP